Executive Media Training & Coaching
Hello there, I'm Liz Banks MD of Skillstudio Limited.
Being interviewed by a journalist is a daunting prospect for many people. If you are unfamiliar with how the media works, even the thought of an interview can be intimidating.
But fortunately, there are some simple rules to help you put your point across well.
With a Skillstudio coach, you'll learn the best ways to respond to journalists, conquer any nerves and come across well in the media.
You can learn to manage the media
Have you ever been faced with a microphone or camera, and a journalist throwing questions at you?
If this happened to you would you know what to say and how to say it?
What about talking to a newspaper reporter with a notepad or chatting to the press over the phone? Are you confident they would publish the appropriate comments?
If you are unsure about how to deal with the media, or you feel uncomfortable around journalists, our Executive Media Skills training can help. Your coach will show you how to prepare for an interview, how to put your point across well and how to increase your chances of successful publicity.
Executive Media Training – making the most of the press
This training is aimed at anyone who has to face the press, from office managers to CEOs and board members. After a highly practical coaching session you will:
- Understand the media and how to manage them effectively
- Learn how to fully prepare for your media interviews
- Learn how to get your key messages across clearly
- Speak with greater confidence and influence when talking to the media
- Learn how to think on your feet and deal with awkward questions
- Convey a more professional style when appearing on radio or TV/Camera
In short, your Skillstudio coach can help you improve your company’s public image through positive media attention. Even if you are facing difficult times and have to carry out damage limitation, we can equip you with the best way to do this.
What does the training involve?
We can offer you a specifically tailored 1-to-1 executive coaching session with a specialist coach for either a full day or a half day.
Firstly we will have an initial consultation with you over the telephone (there is no charge for this initial telephone consultation). We’ll let you know more about the 1-to-1 session, answer any questions you might have, find out more about your previous media experiences and then jointly make an initial assessment of which areas we should focus on in the 1-to-1 training session – for example television, radio, press or all three media.
What happens in a typical full day executive training session?
The outline below is fairly typical of the areas that we would cover in one day, with plenty of time for media interview practice and to build on the ongoing feedback from your media coach. Video is also used, as an additional form of feedback during the session.
Ultimately the actual programme for the day will be tailored by the trainer following your initial telephone consultation. It will then be amended if required on the day as other areas for training become apparent during the session.
- Review of personal aims and expectations of the media coaching
Media Interview Practice
- A short introductory interview with initial feedback from your coach on how you come across
Speaking with greater confidence when talking to the media
- Techniques to help control nervous energy
- Developing a confident and more interesting voice
Preparing for your interview
- Knowing your audience
- Creating your own personal profile (background information on business / company etc)
- Identifying your key message and shaping your approach/argument
- Media interview practice applying techniques developed
- Review of your media interview with your coach
Dealing with questions from the media
- Managing the interviewer's expectations
- Learning how to think on your feet and stay calm when under pressure
- Learning how to avoid journalist 'traps' or 'trick' questions
- Dealing with difficult questions - and how to keep "on message"
Speaking with greater influence on the radio and TV
- Developing a range of expressive vocal qualities to help influence your message
- Speaking clearly - using a microphone
- Getting the most out of your time 'on air'
- Radio interview applying techniques developed
- Review of interview with your media coach
Using body language effectively for TV / Camera interviews
- Using eye contact and facial energy to help enhance your impact
- What to wear/not to wear etc - clothes, jewellery, make-up etc
- TV/Camera interview applying techniques developed
- Review of interview with your media coach
- Personal action plan
Where does the media coaching take place?
Skillstudio offer 1-2-1 Executive Media Training in the following areas throughout the UK:-
The coaching can take place either at your premises or at ours. We can also offer this service outside of training locations listed above (including Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle etc), however travel time and expenses would also need to be taken into account.
We can also (subject to availability and additional fees) use a professional camera operator and / or provide your media training in a radio and/or television studio to give you an even better flavour of how it feels to be interviewed in real life.
(We also run public courses in media training in London and in-house training in Media Skills throughout the UK and Europe.)
What are the executive media coaching fees?
Our executive media training fees are as shown below for sessions held in Central London, Reading, Oxford, Milton Keynes, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee & Aberdeen.
Half day - from £790 + VAT
Full day - from £1490 + VAT
We also offer this training in other geographical areas if you are booking for a full day. However we would have to charge you travel expenses if this were the case.
Highly respected, creative and experienced trainers
Our trainers are all specialists in their field and are able to work at your level and pace. Whether you need to prepare for your first media interview or already have some experience of media interviews but now want to refine your skills further our specialist trainers can really help you make that difference.
A well established, highly regarded training company
Since 2001 Skillstudio's trainers have worked with thousands of people from well over a thousand companies and organisations throughout the UK and Europe. These organisations have included over 50% of the FTSE 100 companies; International Blue Chip companies through to SME's; Central Government bodies through to local borough and county councils; schools; colleges; universities; hospitals; and charities. We've also worked with numerous company executives and private individuals on a one to one basis and via our public courses.
YES I’m interested so what’s the next step?
If you'd like to explore things further with a Skillstudio media coach, just complete the form below and then hit the submit button and we’ll get one of our trainers to have a chat with you and answer any more questions you might have.
And remember, you are only one simple step away from having the ability to get your message across successfully in the media.
Alternatively, call us now on +44 (0)8456 444 150.